Sugar Swings! Serve Some: Green Beer Bread

Friday, March 14, 2014

Green Beer Bread


So Saint Patrick's Day is this Monday! Woo! I pretty much love anything green, even green food which is really weird since green food can = green mold which = pretty gross.  But let's pretend green mold does not exist for the purposes of this post.  

I think my love of green stuff started when I was little and the local supermarket had green sandwich bread around St. Patrick's Day time.  Does anyone else remember that? Loaves of pre-sliced green bread like white wonder bread but green?? I can't find any pictures of it so I'm starting to think I imagined the entire thing.

Anyway, St. Patrick's Day is all about green stuff (obvi) so green food is a must as well as green drinks! So I figured I'd throw them both together in some green beer bread. 

Green beer in a Green Lantern glass seemed appropriate
Start with your favorite beer.   And just like when you cook with wine, use a decent-good beverage if you want a good final product.  Hubby always has some excellent beers on hand so I snagged one.   Nugget Nectar, an IPA from TRÖEGScraft brewery based out of PA (great beers and great artwork on their labels!)

For recipes, I went to my friend Google, and found this one for 5 ingredient beer bread by Half Baked Harvest.  So simple and it looked really tasty.  In place of the brown sugar, I substituted 1/2 cup of regular granulated sugar.  I also added a little green food color to the beer before adding it to the mixture (see pic above).


Add the green beer to your dry ingredients and mix.  But don't over mix. The dough will be a little sticky.  Add to a pan (I also added some green non-pareil sprinkles just because I could) and bake at 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes.  


Ta-da, green beer bread


Add a little pat of butter and you're all set.  

If you've never had beer bread before, it's something you have to try.  The alcohol will cook off during the baking process and the baked bread comes out really nice - moist and slightly sweet (but not super sweet).  A nice little treat to bring to a party 1) because it's really tasty and can be eaten alone or as a side with food and 2) it's super fast to throw together.  


And I know not everyone will look at this and go "Yum, that green hunk of bread looks mighty appetizing, give me the entire loaf!", but if you are weird like me and love all green foods, you might.   Or maybe you just like seeing all the fun green stuff on St Paddy's day, either way I hope you like it! 

Thanks as always for stopping by and have an excellent St. Patrick's Day monday!  If you happen to remember green sliced bread from years ago, please leave me a note so I know I'm not imagining things from my childhood!

Tidy Mom's I'm Loving It

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you or any feedback...make sure are signed in so I can reply back!